1/23/2008

Not a good day.

I'm going through a personal growth spurt right now. Not the physical kind, unfortunately. I will always be 5'4" without shoes on. I'm talking the "So....who exactly am I?" kind. Oddly (when I'm not exhausted), I'm finding that I rather like speaking out about things.

Lately, I've been up in arms about how people are treated by other people. I find myself annoyed when people (whether they be bosses, conductors, professors or grad students) think they're better than the other people around them. There's also a kid in band who has a serious inferiority complex, and that bugs me too. I am SO sick and tired of feeling like you have to say certain things to certain people at work, and you shouldn't "be heard" saying other things, or else something bad might happen to you. I understand that having tact is helpful, but I think people should be able to be more open in conversation in general. What is so wrong if an employee thinks there's a serious flaw with the company? Shouldn't that be an opportunity to improve? What if you, oh "high"-paid executive, suddenly found that YOUR opinion doesn't matter? What then? I understand the concept of not burning bridges, but I feel like I'm constantly walking on eggshells. I don't like that feeling. It takes up SO much energy.

I'm becoming something of a "call it as I see it" type of person, but I can't quite get the mixture right.

*sigh* I guess that's what a blog is for.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I feel the same way. The older I get, the more blunt I get. I think certain things need to be said, even though they may not be the most kind or safe. Then I often feel terrible afterwards because I overstepped common courtesy, but I still feel relieved because, well, it needed to be said! I dunno...