9/18/2007

Music

I think I'm getting sick of music.

To those of you who've known me for a long time, this may come as a big shock. Especially since I started playing piano at age 5. I started flute in seventh grade, and haven't stopped since. In high school, I *loved* band and orchestra. Most of the time. But I also loved choir, Spanish and ballroom dance.

That may be some of my problem. I've finally figured out that music majors and true "musicians" are really supposed to love music. They're supposed to know who the famous people are related to their instrument, whether living or dead. They're supposed to know and love the famous repertoire of their instrument and have a life long goal to play everything perfectly and memorized with an orchestra in Carnegie Hall.

I don't! I think I've frustrated my teacher since I arrived at School because I don't really know the flute repertoire (though I'm getting better), and I only recognize the names of those who are old or dead. Whenever famous flute players come to town, it feels like I'm the only one in the studio that doesn't buzz with excitement and anticipation. I don't *need* to be there. I 'm now only doing flute choir because I need the credit to graduate. I only went to the flute convention this year to play politics (and, apparently, to spend a lot of money). I'm sick of hearing the same things from the conductors rehearsal after rehearsal after rehearsal, and I'm tired of knowing that I'll never be "the best."

I'm just glad that my apathy is showing signs of allowing me (at least...) to finish the school year (I hope!) without going completely crazy. It's not like it's no fun -- it still is -- I just don't derive as much fun as I have. Maybe as the ensembles get better I'll have more fun. Maybe it's just beginning of the semester blues. I'm also fairly certain that my lack of sleep over the last couple of months isn't helping, either. Right now, I'd love to sleep for about a week straight.

Oddly, I'm kind of looking forward to a job that I work for 40 hours a week with a lunch hour and the ability to just go home at night. Then maybe I can read books and learn how to do fun things that are in no way related to music.

4 comments:

ambrosia ananas said...

Wow. I hope you'll find a good nonmusic job you like, then.

Nancy said...

I think four years is a long time to study anything...

Where do professors come from?

I thought about getting my PhD once and then I was like, "Naah..."

Maybe one day...it's hard to focus all my energy on one thing. I flip-flopped between swimming and dance for the longest time (I'm back on the dance side, currently).

i think that's ok though. There isn't enough time in the day to do everything you want to everyday...that's why school gets so tough...and why a full time job gets tough...

Chalk it all up to restlessness.

Did that make any sense? I'm rambling again. I should do that on my own blog, not yours. :)

Cinderella said...

Feel free to ramble, Nancy. :)

Brozy -- me, too!

Becky said...

I hear you, girl friend. This is why I'm at UVSC!!! Cause their program is, well...not the top, aka, easy :) But I have faith in you, you're gonna make it (and I think I am too...I think). You rock.